I heard from five different members this week that they are overwhelmed. Confused. Not sure which way to go and unable to get it all done.
I can relate. I’ve been there … recently!
In all the years I’ve been in business I have discovered that there are really only two practical paths to getting more done.
- Do fewer things and do them very well.
- Find competent people (or train them) and delegate tasks to them.
SIDE NOTE: I say “practical” paths because working 70-hour weeks is just not sustainable. Sure, you get more done but at what price?
So let’s talk about delegation for a minute.
There have been volumes written about delegation, so I won’t “replow that field” as we say here in Texas.
But what I can do is this – I can give you a simple formula for deciding what should be delegated.
It’s a three step process.
- Make a list of all the things you do in your online business during a one-week period. And I do mean all. Leave nothing out.
- Put a line through everything that does not directly contribute to bringing in money. This is business, after all.
- Of the things that are left, decide which can be handled by someone other than you, and then count the cost. If your time is worth $75 per hour and you can hire a qualified outsourcer for $25 per hour you can’t miss.
Doing this short exercise will not win you the Nobel Prize or completely change your life. But it will get you a step closer to clarity, and being clear about what you want, and are willing to do, is important.
And knowing that is a beautiful thing indeed!